Friday, August 31, 2007

Flying Update

Last entry I was on my way to NYC for a week of business travel. I've now been back a week and have been flying 3 times - twice on my own and once with Ed.

The two solo flights in the past week were great! One was last Sunday and the other this morning. Each were about an hour long, and generally went really well. It's exciting to be able to go out to the airport by myself and get into a plane and fly away - sans instructor.

Each time my plan was to head down to Tacoma Narrows, but the weather there hasn't been accomodating. This morning for example it is a beautiful day with a high broken ceiling, but at the Narrows it was low clouds and fog. I could see that from the air and ATIS confirmed, so I deviated to Bremerton.

A couple of things to remember: 1) if you turn the volume down on the radio, that's probably why you wont hear anything when you later dial in the AWOS at Bremerton, and why you won't hear anything when you subsequently dial in the pattern frequency. There were no planes in the pattern when I arrived, but I didn't notice that I had the volume down until the 2nd landing on my first solo flight. Remember to check the volume! 2) pay attention to the taxiway you're intending to use after landing. I easily could have made A4 and the controller assumed I would. But since I didn't break early enough he assigned me A2 - which I then spaced out on and cruised past. Oops. Pay attention!

No comments: